Monday, January 12, 2009

Running High

It's amazing what the proper shoes and a couple days rest will do. Last week was rough. Tuesday's run of 3 miles lasted only about 3/4 of a mile due to pain. That afternoon I went to get my new shoes - Wed was a cross train day and Thursday was to be 4 miles - I got in 3. I probably could have done the 4 but I got up late and didn't really have the time. I was still getting lots of shin pain so I was glad that Friday was a rest day. Saturday was to be a 6 mile run and a 20 minute on Sunday. I had planned to switch them but by the time I got the lights down Saturday afternoon it started raining. Since it was about 30 degrees out I didn't really want to go run in freezing rain so I assessed the situation and decided that my legs needed another day of rest so that when I did the 6 miles I wouldn't be aggravating sore muscles... So then comes Sunday. I was busy with lots of things most importantly a nap after church so my run got pushed back to early evening. I wasn't really looking forward to it. I would have to run at night and due to the lateness my route had to change so I was running 3 miles out and 3 miles back instead of having Steph drop me off 6 miles out so I would run home. That plan was great because it was mostly downhill... Now I would be running the first 3 uphill. With Russ' good news this week and donations starting to come in I knew people were counting on me to train. I headed out and took it easy. It was nice out - about 33 degrees and a full moon rising that was a bright orange. The first mile wasn't bad. The next two were a little tough as that was the uphill part. At my 3 mile turnaround I stopped a minute to retie my shoes and started out again. I felt pretty good and was running faster that before ( I was heading on the downslope after all). About mile 5 I was feeling very good and began to feel only what I've heard described as a runner's high. I was running easy with no pain at all. That feeling stayed with me through the last two miles and I felt like I could have gone more. I'm not sure if I've ever run 6 miles at one shot before so I feel a huge shot of confidence. Specifically because my last two miles were the fastest of the run. After stretching and cool down my shins and calves did not scream out in pain. I thank the guy who fitted me for my new shoes for that - 6 miles with no pain. This morning I do have some muscle aches but it's the good kind of ache like you get from a good workout not the pain from something going wrong. Woo-Hoo!

Baby News - None yet though Steph went in on Friday and they said she was dialated 1-2 cm but no contractions. She goes in on Thursday to get an ultrasound so we can see how big she's getting. The nurses estimate last week was that she was over 8 lbs already. We have an induction scheduled for the 19th. The baby is very active and that makes Steph very uncomfortable. We all have our go bags packed. The room is put together, clothes washed and diapers at the ready. Only cosmetic things remain. I will be painting the girls room possibly this weekend (I get 30 days of Paternaty leave so I have so time to finish then if we head to the hospital this weekend) and put her car seat in the van. Some of you may be asking about a name. C'mon, it's us. We have a list but probably won't make the final decision until we meet her and then we'll only put it on the birth certificate right before we leave the hospital. You all will know shortly after we know.

No comments: