Monday, January 5, 2009

Ouch

Like I said - I'm not a runner. I did my 5 miles on the local high school track. 2 things hit me as I was doing my 20 laps. One is the last time I ran on a track was when I was a freshman in college and I HAD to run for wrestling. We were running single file and the last guy in line had to sprint to the front - I HATED that drill. I think it was during that drill that I swore off running after wrestling... The second thing I thought of was that I don't like running on the track. While it is nice and smooth with no hills it is very boring. I think I'll take the hills and potholes over boring. I did make it and even averaged 10 min/mile. Sunday brought soreness and a shorter 20 minute run. I had to wait until night to do that and I ran a bit faster but paid for it in pain. If pain is weakness leaving the body I must have built up a LOT of weakness. Some of the pain is just from pushing hard to improve. Other is from bad shoes. Today I went into a real running shoe store. I was fitted 2 different ways, they watched my feet and ankles as I walked and pointed out what types of shoes I should wear. I have high arches so my feet elongate when I stand (or when they hit the pavement) so that causes pain in the calves and shins. With the shoes I have and the inserts the calve and shin pain should go away soon. Then I'll only have my endurance to worry about.

Steph and I feel that she'll go into labor within the next week or so. We'll keep you posted on that too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bud... HAPPY BIRTHDAY (twoa and a half weeks late)!!!:) We talked about you and how OLD you were, though I suppose I shouldn't say anything since I'm OLDER yet. I did get your B-day message. We had a great time with Mom and Dad. I really missed all of us being together for birthdays and Christmas, oh well times change and new traditions are started. Gma Reeve and Aunt DeeDee, Dereck, Christina and Andrew came for dinner on Saturday. We had a good time, the rest of the cousins couldn't make it, but it was really good to see Gma and cousins played well together. At first Andrew wasn't too sure about Christina, she is a girl after all, but eventually they were involved in some type of game they created.
Andrew went on his first Boy Scout campout without one of us. I know it's way past time for that, but when we're leaders and we like it, it's hard not to go. He really enjoyed it and came back having made more friends.
Both boys are in wrestling, but only Andrew wants to compete. Matthew just grinned as I watched him Monday night. His opponent had both of M's arms behind is M's back with his elbows touching. He doesn't want to go before he gets there, but doesnt' stop smiling the whole 1-1/2 hrs of practice. Andrew's learning to be aggressive, kinda. I've spent 12 yrs telling him to be nice and polite and kind, that he's now having to unlearn those things on the mat. The coach (and he's a great teacher) taught them Monday night a breakdown...CHOP the arm, JAB the stomach, KNEE'em where the sun doesn't shine. All the boys laughed, but his point was trying to get them to be aggressive and "not nice" while on the mat. Coach said, you're nice when you shake hands in the beginning, you're nice when you shake hands at the end, you're not nice when you wrestle. So many of the boys are friends, have played on the same football or baseball teams and they're only now having to be aggressive (not nice) with their friends.
Lauren resumes Daisy meetings this weeek. I get to go to NIU's Women's BB game in a couple weeks. I CAN'T WAIT!!...NOT. She gets to meet the team, receive a special patch and the Girl Scouts are recognized during the game. She loves it (Daisies). It'a not like Boy Scouts, it seems more social/service oriented than I remember from 30 some years ago. I don't know how long she continue, since it's not what she see her brothers doing, but it has her attention for now. We're going to get her back into gymnastics next week. It's been on the list to do since September, but it never made it to the top fo the list. It's made it now and sh's excited.

Hope you begin to feel less pain soon! I don't envy you your pain, but I'm impressed with your mental encouragement. Kinda makes leg cramps seem insignificant. I'm praying for Steph to hang in there (well I guess for your little girl to hang in there) for a couple more weeks. Steph, I hope you have some position for sleeping that is a least somewhat comfortable enough to get some rest/sleep. It seems with each pregnancy, I had more achs and pains during the day let alone those at night! Tell Dylna & Chloe hi!
Love you all,
Kristin