Monday, October 13, 2008

Good Friends, Good Times







Reliving the "Good Old Days" can be fun. This past weekend Peter and Karen Opalka came to stay with us. We had such a great time. As usual we had some lively discussions - sometimes just picking a side we don't really believe just to have the discussion.




Peter and I went to the Sailboat Show in Annapolis and met up with the rest of the crew at Butler's Orchard. Then we headed home for a crab fest on the porch. The next day we went to a neighborhood Octoberfest during the day and Peter helped me grill some lambchops that night.





On the final night we started reminiscing about the times we had together when they lived in Maryland. There were lots of stories recounted, laughter all around the room as no one was left out of being in the target of some memory. This happens with all good friends who have time together. The great thing though is when you don't just talk about the past like it was the peak of your existence. We talked about the future and even did some planning for it.

I think that is the crux of a good relationship. Building upon memories and planning new ones. If all you do is talk about the past (HS, College, etc.) then it gets old pretty quick.

Steph and I are fortunate that we have great friends who can relive the memories but not live in them. I have never laughed harder than when talking with a friend and recalling something we've done together. Usually it's about something stupid we've done together. I know that may come as a shock to you all but yes, I have done a couple of dumb things in my day and in most cases one of you have been around to see it - then remind me of it hours, days, months and yes, even years later. I've been blessed to have things become funnier the further back in the past they become...
What I really like though is the talk of the future. What we are planning as a family, goals we've set and discussing when we'll get together again and do it all over again.

No comments: